I'm regularly asked, "Why?".
Why did I move to Australia? Why am I living in Holland? Why not live a normal life the way my wonderful parents raised me?
Most people in similar situations have reasons. But when I answer, "Because I want to..." the listener instantly looks perplexed. Is this an unacceptable response?
Some inspiration for today:
If you are confident, they will say you are arrogant.
If you are deliberate, they will say you are too sure of yourself.
If you have a sense of purpose, they will say you are self-absorbed.
If you know who you are, they will ask, “Who are you, anyway?”
If you believe in kindness and compassion, they will say you are naïve.
If you are a dreamer, they will say “join the real world.”
If you are a rebel, they will try to shut you down.
The instructions include:
rein it in
slow it down
wait it out
pull it back
take your time
play it safe
But you will know.
They are envious because they want what you have.
They are afraid of change even as they crave it.
They are projecting their own regret into resentment of you.
It’s not all bad news: some of them will sort themselves out and end up joining you. Because you are a good person and have had plenty of false starts of your own, you’ll understand and welcome them warmly. "We’ve missed you!", you’ll say, "It’s about time you made it."
Gelukkig Nieuwjaar, mijn vriend. I was worried about you a bit.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see that things are still progressing in your hunt to stay put in Amsterdam.
I hope the job search is progressing.
Still trying to figure out the magic bullet on this end.
Great post. Very inspiring. For some reason, people just don't understand why anyone would want to venture out on their own to experience life.
Their loss.
Zowieso, succes met jouw quest!